- ¾ cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 kg chicken-breast tenders
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In 10-inch skillet, toast bread crumbs and sesame seeds over high heat about 5 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Transfer crumb mixture to plate.
- In medium bowl, with wire whisk or fork, mix egg white, 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, and salt until foamy. Dip tenders in egg-white mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat. Place tenders on cookie sheet. Bake tenders 13 to 15 minutes or until they lose their pink colour throughout. Do not turn tenders over.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and lightly browned. Remove skillet from heat; stir in ketchup, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining five-spice powder. Pour sauce into small bowl; serve with tenders.